Insanely rich, ultra ooey-gooey triple chocolate chunk cookies that will blow your mind. They taste like if brownies were cookies. Death by chocolate? Damn right. Slightly adapted from ATK.
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) dutch-processed cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound (16 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips (SEE NOTE)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed (10 1/2 ounces) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped (I used Bakers brand, SEE NOTE)
- Maldon sea salt flakes, for finishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until combined. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the vanilla. Sprinkle the instant espresso over the top to dissolve, and set aside.
- Melt 1 pound of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave at 50-percent power for 2 minutes. Stir the chocolate and continue to microwave at 50-percent until the chocolate is completely melted, stirring after each minute to avoid scorching. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using a stand-mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until combined, about a minute on medium-speed. It will look granular, so don’t freak out. Reduce the speed to low, and add the egg mixture. Beat until incorporated, about 45 seconds. Add the melted chocolate in a steady stream and mix until combined, about 40 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. With the mixer still running on low, add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined and fully incorporated. DO NOT OVERBEAT! Fold in the roughly chopped semi-sweet chocolate with a rubber spatula. SEE NOTE BELOW!
- Using a large (3 or 4-tablespoon capacity) cookie scoop, arrange 6 to 8 dollops of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches of space between each cookie. Bake the cookies on the middle rack of your oven for 5 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake an additional 5 minutes (total of 10 minutes per pan). The edges should be set and the centers should be very soft. Remove the cookies from the oven and give the pans a gentle yet firm tap on your kitchen counter to crack them open and expose their gooey centers. Sprinkle with flaky Maldon sea salt and let them cool for 10 minutes before eating.
- Cookies should be completely cooled before storing in an airtight container. Enjoy!
If you decide to use bar chocolate instead of chips for the actual cookie dough, you will need to let the finished dough set up for 30 minutes before baking. That 30-minute resting period allows the dough to be scoopable. And while using chopped bar chocolate is perfectly fine, it doesn’t “set up” the way chocolate chips do. I just find using chips make the dough easier to manage without waiting for it to firm up. Also, you can use an additional 8 ounces of chocolate chips to mix into the finished dough instead of chopped bar chocolate. Just know that you will not get the gooey rivers of melted chocolate if you use chips to stud the dough.
If your cookie scoop is smaller than 4 tablespoons, you will still bake the cookies for just 10 minutes only, but you’ll have way more cookies than the recipe originally yields. Not a bad problem, if you ask me.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: sweets, desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: death by chocolate chunk cookies, cookies, chocolate chunk cookies, chocolate, chocolate cookies