Recipe can be halved for just one chicken, or left as is for two small chickens or one larger bird.
- 1/2 cup loosely-packed fresh mint
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1 to 2 scallions, chopped
- 8 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 3 to 4oz Pomegranate Molasses per chicken (if using two small, 6 oz for one large bird)
- 3 to 4 tbsp neutral tasting oil (such as canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
- *Brown sugar or honey, to taste
- Mix all ingredients (except chicken and brown sugar or honey) together in a medium to large bowl, thoroughly.
- Place chicken in a large ziploc bag or container, pour marinade over chicken and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place chicken on a baking rack over a foil lined baking sheet. Tuck the wing tips under the breast meat to prevent burns. Pat excess surface moisture, add a final sprinkle of kosher salt and black pepper. Place in oven on the lower-middle rack, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, reduce your reserved marinade in a saucepan over high heat until it comes to a boil. Reduce to a low-simmer for 10 minutes or until it reduces by about half. Add brown sugar or honey to the mixture to balance the tartness of the pomegranate. This amount will be up to you. Taste as you go, adjust seasoning.
- Take the chicken out of the oven after 30 minutes, and baste it with the pomegranate glaze.
- Place back in oven and finish cooking until done. White meat should register 160-165 degrees on an instant read thermometer, and the dark meat should register 170-175.
- Allow chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour