Henny wings?! YES! Orange and cognac go together like up and down. Like Homer and D’oh! Like bacon and eggs. It’s really a fabulously delicious pairing, and if you haven’t tried it even in drink form, you’re about to receive a blessing. I’ve basically concocted a BBQ sauce version of the nifty pairing, that seriously goes well on ANYTHING! Shrimp, chicken, fish, pork, veggies — anything you’d put BBQ sauce on. I need you to trust me on this one, guys. It’s just damn good.
For the video, I put this sauce on some wings — and I baked those wings using the baking powder method, but it seriously doesn’t matter how you cook your chicken. You can fry these wings, do whatever you want! This is about the sauce.
- Q: I don’t have any Hennessy, could I use another cognac?
- A: Yes.
- Q: I don’t like cognac, could I use something else?
- A: You can do whatever the hell you want. Bourbon would be dope, too.
- Q: Can I fry my wings or grill instead?
- A: Absolutely!!!
Now, on to the recipe…I chucked some onions in this so they could get all jammy and caramelized, they cling beautifully to your food. The orange marmalade is IMPORTANT here! Do not skip it, it provides the most amount of orange flavor and the necessary pectin to thicken this lovely sauce. The base of this sauce uses Heinz Chili Sauce (you can find this literally anywhere ketchup is sold), but if for some strange po’dunk reason you can’t find Chili Sauce, just use ketchup. Aside from the chili sauce/ketchup, orange marmalade, and necessary spices — this recipe is pretty lenient. You can leave this out, or that out, and it’ll still turn out to be delicious — given that you’re tasting it as it cooks down. Don’t be a jackalope and do this recipe to the letter without tasting it as you go, that’s just foolish. That very last splash of Hennessy at the end is also very crucial. You cook off most of the alcohol, and you’re left with delicious cognac flavor — but punching that up a bit with fresh liquor is amazing.
Okay so back to the recipe, enjoy you guys! Check out the video for how it’s made.
Orange-Henny BBQ Wings
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
This recipe is more about the sauce. You can fry your wings, grill them, however you’d like to prepare them. Just toss them in that delicious Orange-Henny sauce, and get your life.
Baking powder mixture for the chicken:
- 3 to 5 lbs chicken wings
- 3 tbsp baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 – 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic (not garlic salt!)
- 1 tbsp granulated onion
Orange-Henny BBQ Sauce:
- 1 12oz. bottle Chili Sauce (or ketchup)
- 2 tbsp mustard (creole, brown, dijon, or yellow)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small yellow or sweet onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup Hennessy
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2–3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 – 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- few dashes of worcestershire
- few dashes of liquid smoke (optional)
- granulated garlic, to taste
- granulated onion, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
To cook the chicken:
- pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. mix all of the dry ingredients together until combined, sprinkle over the chicken until coated. you may or may not need all of this mixture, just make sure each piece is covered nicely. Bake the chicken for 20 minutes. Flip the chicken over and bake an additional 20 minutes. Flip one last time and bake for 10-15 minutes or until completely crispy. Toss with the Orange-Henny BBQ Sauce.
To make the Orange-Henny BBQ Sauce:
- Put everything in a pot over medium/medium-low heat, bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Once sauce has reduced and thickened (should take about 20-30 minutes), turn off the heat and hit it with one final splash of Henny (about 1oz). Store leftover sauce in an air-tight container and use it for something else. Will keep for a week.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
I’ve made this sauce so many times I’ve lost count. I first ate Henny Wings at a Jamaican restaurant in Charlotte, NC. The owner said he sells out every Saturday. He grills his wings then toss them. This sauce is off DA chain!!! I just put it on some Cornish Hens for the family’s Thanksgiving dinner. Now, my sister wants the recipe. Thanks for sharing!!
This is the second wing receipt I have tried from your website and one again, you always deliver! Me and my man tore this up! If anyone is considering this recipe go ahead and bite the bullet and give in!!
This recipe is my family and friends favorite! I am known as the Hennessy wing girl in the neighborhood and I do not drink…..lol.
I am greatly appreciative of your skills, keep up the good work. I’m making the wings again this weekend, with peach cobbler.
I made this recipe and OMG this sauce is superb. I put it on some wings for watching football, now the bad news. Everybody love them so much, I’m being asked to make them for whenever my friends have get together LOL..
I’ve been told they’re mind is playing tricks, because you can taste the cognac but no alcohol, but they feel like should I be feeling it LOL. Thank you so much for this recipe, I think because I’m being pestered to make all the time lol
I made these wings for my bf’s bday. He loved them! Said they were good even without the sauce. The Henny bbq sauce was so good! Definitely making these again and sharing the recipe with friends. Thank you!!!
This recipe is awesome. It was a hit at home with my husband and I’m not a big cooker. Also my co-workers loved it when I made it for a pot luck. Thank you for sharing.
Not sure how I found you but you now have a new subscriber. I’ll be working these wings out over the grill for Super Bowl Sunday along with my usual sweet and fiery wings. Great job. Without looking at your profile I am going to guess you have an educated background in the culinary arts. Great insights/tips/suggestions throughout.
What a cutie! That’s how you market wings! 🙂
(Truth be told, the ending of this vid sealed the deal for me.)
Delicious. Thanks for the recipe
This wings go to work girl! I ain’t playin I made this for a BBQ for the homies. Good lookin on the recipe, do yo thang girl!
I came across your video by accident and when I tell you I went and grabbed 2 jars of Marmalade, (because I know I’m gonna love them) a bottle of Hennessy and everything else I actually have on hand. Listen when I tell you I didn’t even make them yet and I know it’s about to go down I’m sure I’ll be smacking my Momma when It’s all said and done! Thanks so much for sharing and Yes I subscribed to your Youtube
This was a huge hit at our Super Bowl party. They were gone in minutes! This family loves your work, keep’em coming!
yes, i love them
These were the Bomb!!!!!!!! I had to share this recipe.. Keep on cookin
Delicious! I made this today. I will definitely be making again and again. Thanks for the recipe!!